Prof. Dr. med. Ulrich Schiefer
room: G4 1.06
telephone: +49 7361 576 - 4605
telefax: +49 7361 576 - 4685
married since 1983, three daughters
1976 – 1982, University of Düsseldorf
April-28, 1983, Third (final) Medical State Examination
10/1983 – 11/1986, (rank: "Stabsarzt") Military Hospital Ulm, Dept. of Ophthalmology (Head: Prof. Dr. med. E. Schütte)
Scientific employee Board exam in ophthalmology
12/1986 – 03/1989, University Eye Hospital Tübingen
Senior physician ("Oberarzt") Habilitation
since April-01, 1989, University Eye Hospital Tübingen
Executive senior physician, Deputy of the director of Dept.
since March-15, 1994, University Eye Hospital Tübingen
Appointment as Ass. Professor
04 – 05 / 2001 Washington University Dept. of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, St. Louis, USA
Application for position as "Head of Neuroophthalmology"
2003, University of Freiburg, Germany
(successor of Prof. G. Kommerell): "secundo loco"
Application for position as "Head of Dept. of Ophthalmol."
2007, University of Gießen, Germany
(successor of Prof.G. Kaufmann): "tertio loco"
W3 Full Professorship "Vision Research"
12/2012, Course of Studies Ophthalmological Optics / Ophthalmological Optics – Audiology, Faculty of Optics & Mechatronics, University of Applied Sciences, Aalen, Germany
Honors and Awards
- 1984Award of the University of Düsseldorf: Best thesis of the year (Beste Dissertation des Jahres)
- 1992Award of the "German Ophthalmological Society" (DOG) for an outstanding educational video contribution: "Vom Lesen" ("On Reading")
- 1996Elfriede-Aulhorn-Award of the DOG (German Ophthalmologic Society)
- 2002Federal Teaching Award (Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, Baden-Württemberg)
- 2004Baden-Württemberg Certification "Didactics in University Teaching"
- 2005Video film-award of the DOG (German Ophthalmological Society) for an outstanding educational film: „Subjective refraction using the Jackson cross cylinder"
- 2006Award of the Tübingen medical students: Best teachers of the medical faculty (rank 11 of 674 evaluated Medical University lecturers, Tuevalon)
- 2008Award of the Tübingen medical students: Best teachers (rank 3 of 770 evaluated Medical University lecturers)
- 2010„Zingirian Lecture“, Società Italiana di Perimetria (SIPe)
- 2010Award of the Tübingen medical students: Best teachers (rank 1 of 1134 evaluated Medical University lecturers)
- 2010"Ophthalmologist of the Year 2010" (Board of the Journal "Ophthalmologische Nachrichten")
- 2013Joseph Ströbl Award of the Joseph & Sonja Ströbl Foundation for the advancement of excellent journalistic and scientific accomplishment with regard to traffic safety
- 2016IPS Lecture – IPS (Imaging & Perimetry Society)
- 2018Elfriede-Aulhorn Educational Lecture – IPS (Imaging & Perimetry Society)
- 2018BARTIMAEUS Award, 8th World Research Congress “The Eye, The Brain & The Auto”, Detroit USA
- 2021Teaching Award Aalen University of Applied Sciences
Patents (German Patent office, Munich, Germany)
- Schiefer U, Witte A (1996) Patent: Perimetrisches Untersuchungsverfahren – Fundusgestützte Perimetrie II (Perimetric examination technique – fundus-oriented perimetry II)
- Schiefer U, Witte A (1996) Patent: Perimetrisches Untersuchungsverfahren – Autokinetische Perimetrie II (Perimetric examination technique – autokinetic perimetry II).
- Schiefer U, Witte A (1996) Patent: Perimetrisches Untersuchungsverfahren – Ja-/Nein-Patientenabfrage II (Perimetric examination technique – explicit yes-/no-response assessment II).
- Schiefer U, Witte A (2003) Patent: Perimetrisches Untersuchungsverfahren – Autokinetische Perimetrie unter Berücksichtigung und Korrektur der individuellen Reaktionszeit (Perimetric examination technique – Autokinetic perimetry with explicit consideration of and correction for the individual reaction time).
Membership on Academic Committees
Medical Department University Tübingen
- Commission reviewing doctoral thesis proposed for a grade of “summa cum laude”
- several appeal committees of the Tuebingen Faculty of Medicine
- Academic Foundation of the german people
- Professional Association of German Ophthalmologists (BVA)
- German Ophthalmological Society (DOG)
- International Perimetric Society (IPS) – Board member since 09/2000 – Vice president 06/2002 to 06/2004 – Treasurer since 06/2004
- Bielschowsky Society for Strabismological Research and Neuro-Ophthalmology
- Arbeitsgruppe “Fahr-, Steuer- und Überwachungstätigkeiten” des Ausschusses Arbeitsmedizin der Berufsgenossenschaften
- DOG Commission for the Quality Assurance of Sensory Physiological Examination Methods and Instruments (Head since 2007)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal “Der Ophthalmologe”
- Board member of German Ophthalmological Society (DOG) since 10/2011
Regular activities in continuing education and further training
- Ophthalmology academy of Germany (AAD): 6 courses per year
- Course on Functional Diagnostics and Neuro-Ophthalmology (FUN): including organization
- Interactive Course on Advanced Functional Diagnostics and Neuro-Ophthalmology (FUN+)
- Course on Perimetry, Tübingen (TÜP): including organization
- Glaucoma Workshop Tübingen: including organization
- Basic Science Courses (e.g. perimetry and neuro-ophthalmology)
- Interactive course on optics and refraction (RiTA) Tübingen, Aalen: including organization
- Course for principal investigators
(Coordination Centres for Clinical Trials at University Hospitals Tübingen and Ulm)